(Replace that old version of Firefox simply by the corresponding version that can download here: http://www.mozilla.org/de/firefox/fx)
In the first task, the SWV Admin tool is used to create a virtual software package that includes the Firefox browser plus a few "add-ons". When SWV technology must be the Add-ONs not necessarily pack with the main application together in a layer, you can do this but for better portability of the application thoroughly. In this particular case, we will combine exercise the Firefox browser with the Flash Player, and another, "FireTune" called add-on. This queen we will get a single, portable layer, the Firefox add-ons, including the desired contains.
We will treat this exercise some common virtualization practices, including how to pack several installation files into one and the same layer. We discuss the comparison between the single program recording to the global recording and how to add the most effective exclusions for certain types of files after recording a layer.
- 1. Start the SWV Admin tool using either the Quick Launch bar or Start menu shortcut.
- 2. In the SWV Admin click on File / New layer.
- 3. Make sure "Install application" that the radio button selection is on and click "Next".
- 4. Enter the layer name please exactly this: "Firefox 18.104.22.168 with add-ons" (it is important to write this as well since we will edit later with a batch file, the layer name). Click on "Next".
- 5. Our next choice is between the individual and the global program recording recording.
Whenever possible, the single program recording can be selected.
A global recording everything (!) What changes to the machine during the live recording record. Thus, this method will introduce a large amount of unwanted data in the layer. For this reason, you should use the global recording only as a last resort. In title field they tap C: \ windows \ system32 \ cmd.exe or search for it, they click on the "Next".
But why do we show the cmd.exe instead of the setup.exe from Firefox?
Perform recording with cmd.exe is handy for multiple installations in one layer stuck to record them without the irrelevant things that caused a global record. We can one application after another and SWV Admin Revert will only record the processes that emerge from within the console (or even sub-processes of this). We can stay in the recording mode until the last installation / configuration is done and we with the closing of the console window exit the recording mode and so have recorded a clean sheet.
- 6. Click now on "Done" to the sisters envy process to finish. Observe them in the lower right corner of the screen rotating SWV icon. This icon indicates that we are currently in the recording mode. This will remain active until we close the console window.
- 7. First we want to start Firefox setup.exe from the download folder. We must now call setup.exe from our console, so that the contents of this application are recorded in our film. To do this, copy the path of the exe file, so we can insert it into the console. The easiest way to do this in Windows is to press the [Shift] + Right-click on the EXE to make in order to "Copy as Path" option. Now click with the right mouse in the console and say "paste". . Make sure that the path has been copied correctly and press Enter to execute the command from the console to perform This will trigger the Firefox installation.
- 8. They leave the default settings during the Firefox installation. In the completion dialog Firefox starts when you press the "Finish". Any adjustments that we do right now in the Firefox browser, are also included in the layer with.
- 9. When "Firefox Import Wizard" dialog click "Import Nothing" and please click "Next". The Firefox application is started in the background. Check the Insert option is the default browser check and click "No" to prevent Firefox is set as the default browser (we assume in this case the assumption that the Internet Explorer is the default browser on our target machine remains).
- 10. One of best things about the SWR packaging is to disable the auto-update function, if such an option exists. This allows them as a system administrator to control the exact film version on the end user's machine. Furthermore, they know that if they back an application that they also exact to the previous version back. When an application has been updated once within a layer, this upgrade would be stored in the 'writeable' layer. A reset of the application layer would restore the original virtualized version as go all the contents of the writable layer's lost in a layer reset. To disable the "auto-update" feature in Firefox click on "Tools" -> "Settings" -> "Advanced" -> "Update" tab and tick them off the top three choices. Click "OK" to accept the changes.
- 11. Close Firefox it now and turn it back to the console.
- 12. We are now the "Adobe Flash Player Plugin Installer 22.214.171.124" add-on will add it to our Firefox layer. They use the same [Shift] + Right Click -> Copy as Path Method to insert the path to the console. Is the path once inserted press Enter to launch the Flash setup. It's a quick installation. Is she ready to click "Close" to exit the setup and return it again to the console.
- 13. There is yet another add-on, a Firefox-optimizing application called "FireTune", which we will implement in Firefox. Copy it one more time with the [Shift] + right-click method of FireTune the path to the console. Press Enter to start the setup. Accept the default settings of setup.exe, except the. Dialogue on the penultimate page Remove the hook so FireTune after installation starts and can connect to the website FireTune.
- 14. Now that it has been successfully installed FireTune tap "Exit" in the console to close the window. You will now see the rotating SWV icon disappear in the system tray and the SWV Admin is brought to the foreground. We now have an activated layer with the name "Firefox 126.96.36.199 with add-ons".
- 15. They make a right click on the layer in the SWV Admin and select "disable" layer. You will see the desktop icons disappear from Firefox and FireTune.
- 16. If there are no reasons to the contrary, it is a good idea to set the FireFox layer on the automatic activation at an engine starting. Enabling this option is the appropriate application when you restart the computer starts again automatically and is therefore immediately available.
- 17. Double click now on the layer name to edit the film. The editor displays all the files and registry entries that were added to this layer. Go to the tab "exclusion entries". Note that no exclusions are registered for this film! It is a critical step practice to use either the file type exclusions or the data layers to manage the data in its virtualization software.
If they do not, they risk losing data when resetting or deleting the virtual application!
An example would be for example Microsoft Office as a virtual appliance.
You do not want to lose their created Word or Excel documents, if Microsoft Office is reset or deleted. (NOTE: We will focus in this exercise to add file extensions, even if data layers are also a popular option).
How do we know now that we need to add file types to the exclusion rider entries?
Fortunately, there is a practical set of tools to symantec / connect, which help automate this process a little: „ExcludeGen“ and „ExcludeCopy“.
- 18. They open the ManageFusion folder on the desktop. You are here two batch files the "ExcludeGen.bat" and "ExcludeCopy.bat" find hot. You can open it in edit mode, to look at the simple command-line, which will call the batch file. Necessarily will generate all necessary ExcludeGen file type exclusions for our Firefox layer and these exclusions and plug them into a new blank layer named FIREFOX_EXCLUDES. Make it a double click on the file ExcludeGen.bat and they will see this new layer in FIREFOX_EXCLUDES SWV Admin. Double click now on the FIREFOX_EXCLUDES layer and go to the tab Exclusion entries to see what was done. In fact, several file type exclusions generated by the Firefox application.
- 19. Double click now on the ExcludeCopy.bat in ManageFusion folder. If you now double-click on the make "Firefox 188.8.131.52 with add-ons" layer and go to the tab of the exclusion entries, they will see all the exclusions of the Firefox application. You sometimes have to folder exclusions such as Desktop, My Documents, etc. Add. These can be treated as global exclusions, so that each layer will follow on the system these exclusions.
- 20. Have now been completed in the layer where all the necessary configuration steps, we want to export the layer to a portable software archive (. Xpf file). For this, we right click on the layer => Export, and select an appropriate folder as the destination of the export process.